Pursuant to Senate Bill 256 (2017), OS is facilitating the Willamette Falls Locks Commission (WFLC). Senate Bill 256 established the commission to advise state, local, and regional government agencies on development and implementation of a plan for repair, reopening, operation, and maintenance of the Willamette Falls navigation canal and locks. The commission may recommend formation of an intergovernmental agreement. The commission is also directed to keep the Oregon congressional delegation informed. The work follows on the work of the 2016 Willamette Falls Locks Task Force.
- Public invited to submit comments to Willamette Falls Locks Commission at any time regarding the future of the locks. Email comments to Turner Odell at firstname.lastname@example.org or see the public input section on this page for opportunities to present comments to the commission in person.
- Oregon Governor Brown recommends spending $7.5 million to reopen the Willamette Falls locks. Read the press release (PDF).
- Willamette Falls Locks Commission member list (PDF) – current as of November 1, 2018
- Oregon Governor Brown establishes a commission to determine the fate of 145-year-old Willamette Falls locks. Read the press release (PDF).
- Meeting #7 – January 30, 2019, 8:30 am to 12:00 pm (approximately). Location to be determined.
Note: Meeting #7 has been rescheduled from December. The meeting is currently planned to take place in the morning, and depending on the availability of Commission members, it may take place in Salem.
Public comment opportunity. There will be time allotted at the January 30, 2018, meeting for public comments. If you plan to provide oral comments please email Turner Odell at email@example.com with your name, affiliation (optional), and any documents for distribution to the Commission. This list is for planning purposes. Additional public comments outside of this list are welcome at the January meeting.
Tentative meeting dates in 2019:
- Meeting #8 – April 10, 2019, 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm
- Meeting #9 – July 10, 2019, 1:00 to 4:30 pm
Note: Meetings #8 and #9 are likely to be held at West Linn City Hall. Location confirmation will be posted to this page at least a week before each meeting.
The next opportunity to present public comments to the Willamette Falls Locks Commission in person will be at the January 30, 2018, meeting. If you plan to provide oral comments please email Turner Odell at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, affiliation (optional), and any documents for distribution to the Commission. This list is for planning purposes. Additional public comments outside of this list are welcome at the January meeting.
- Anyone unable to attend may email their comments to Turner Odell at email@example.com.
- A list of those who presented and copies of any documents submitted to the Commission will be made publicly available on this site following the January meeting.
The Willamette Falls Locks Commission last heard public comments at a July 18, 2018, meeting. The following PDF includes a list of those who spoke, copies of written materials submitted at the meeting, and comments submitted electronically.
For more information or to join our email list, contact: