Pursuant to Senate Bill 256 (2017), OS is facilitating the Willamette Falls Locks Commission (WFLC). Senate Bill 256 established the commission to advise state, local, and regional government agencies on development and implementation of a plan for repair, reopening, operation, and maintenance of the Willamette Falls navigation canal and locks. The commission may recommend formation of an intergovernmental agreement. The commission is also directed to keep the Oregon congressional delegation informed. The work follows on the work of the 2016 Willamette Falls Locks Task Force.
- See the Willamette Falls Locks Commission member list (PDF), which is current as of July 1, 2019.
- The commission unanimously recommends requesting $15.535 million from the Oregon Legislature to fund repairs and upgrades, and to provide some annual and periodic maintenance. More information can be found at the legislative briefing sheet (PDF).
- Oregon Governor Brown includes funding to re-open the locks in her recommended budget. Read the press release (PDF).
- PowerPoint presentations on the locks’ public benefits can be found under resources in the “Meeting Materials, Resources, and Background” page on this site.
- The public is invited to submit comments to the Willamette Falls Locks Commission at any time regarding the future of the locks. Email comments to Turner Odell at email@example.com
Upcoming meetings in 2019:
- September 11, 2019, 1:00 – 4:30 pm
- October 16, 2019, 1:00 – 4:30 pm – MEETING CANCELLED
- November 13, 2019, 1:00 – 4:30 pm
- December 11, 2019, 1:00 – 4:30 pm
The Willamette Falls Locks Commission provided opportunities for public comment at the July 18, 2018, and January 30, 2019, meetings. Future opportunities to provide public input will be posted to this site.
The public is welcome to submit comments to the commission at any time regarding the future of the locks. Email comments to Turner Odell at firstname.lastname@example.org. See all public comments as of February 18, 2019 (PDF).
For more information or to join our email list, contact: