The 2016 Willamette Falls Navigation Canal and Locks Task Force was established through Senate Bill 131 of 2015 (PDF). Note that a subsequent project flowed from the task force’s work in 2018. You can learn about that project at our webpage for the 2018 Willamette Falls Locks Commission.
The 2016 Willamette Falls Navigation Canal and Locks Task Force was directed by the Oregon Legislature to do the following:
(1) Compile information relating to the Willamette Falls navigation canal and locks, including, but not limited to:
(a) The historical and cultural aspects of the canal and locks;
(b) Economic opportunities that could follow from reopening the canal and locks;
(c) The importance of the canal and locks for emergency planning; and
(d) Transportation on the canal and locks, including recreational and commercial uses.
(2) Consider means of facilitating the repair and reopening of the Willamette Falls navigation canal and locks, including, but not limited to:
(a) Monitoring repairs by the United States Army Corps of Engineers;
(b) Making recommendations to the corps relating to the responsibilities of the corps under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, including the Section 106 process, assessment under the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969, the corps’ Dam Safety Action Classification-I (DSAC-I) expedited investigation and other applicable studies;
(c) Requesting federal funding for the repair, reopening and operation of the canal and locks; and
(d) Identifying other sources of funding for the repair, reopening and operation of the canal and locks.
(3) Develop a plan for the sustainable operation of the canal and locks.
(4) Consider governance models for the lease or transfer of the canal and locks to a local, regional, state or other entity.
Task Force meeting materials and resources are posted below.
September 13, 2016
June 15, 2016
May 9, 2016
April 15, 2016 Tribal Perspectives Meeting
March 16, 2016 Meeting Two
- Meeting Agenda (PDF)
- Meeting Summary (PDF)
- Public Comments for the Governor’s Transportation Vision Panel Willamette Falls Locks Working Group (PDF)
- USACE Overview Presentation (PDF)
- Economic Potential ECONorthwest Presentation (PDF)
- Corporate Overview West Linn Paper Company (PDF)
- Willamette Falls Lock Economics Wilsonville Concrete Products (PDF)
January 12, 2016 Meeting One